For your convenience, we have compiled resources for families to learn more about autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disabilities.
General Autism and Developmental Disabilities Information
- Early Warning Signs
If you suspect a child is developing communication and/or social skills in atypical fashion, here are some early warning signs of autism spectrum disorder.
- Developmental Milestones
Developmental delays are identified through assessments of simple skills. Below is a list of milestones broken down by behavioral categories that can help you identify if your child needs further evaluation.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
The American Academy of Pediatrics is dedicated to the health of all children through giving families resources, professional educational, and advocating and creating policies for children.
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Healthy Children
Healthy Children gives parents and families personalized content, up-to-the-minute pediatric health information, educational newsletters, and assists in finding a pediatrician.
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Bright Futures
Bright Futures is a national health promotion and prevention initiative, led by the American Academy of Pediatrics. The guidelines provide theory-based and evidence-driven guidance for all preventive care screenings and well-child visits.
- CDC Developmental Disabilities Information
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Developmental Disabilities website gives families facts, research, articles, resources, and tools to assist your child with disabilities.
- MedlinePlus Developmental Disabilities Resources
Medline presents a list of diagnoses and tests, treatments and therapies, related issues, specifics, and genetics overviews for families with children with developmental disabilities.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- What is Applied Behavior Analysis? – Autism Speaks
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) – Good Therapy
- Seven Dimensions of ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis): Changing human behavior the scientific way – Psych Central
- Corona Virus: A Book for Children - London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Corona Virus Prevention - The ARC New Jersey
- Corona Virus: What Is It and What Can You Do? - The ARC Maryland and Maryland Development Disabilities Council
- COVID-19 Information By and For People with Disabilities - SARTAC
- How to Stay Healthy from COVID-19 - California State Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Caring for Individuals with Autism During a Crisis - Autism Speaks
- Caregiver Tips to Make Mask-Wearing Easier for People with Autism - Autism Speaks
- Challenging Behaviors Tool Kit - Autism Speaks
- How to Cope with Disrupted Family Routines During COVID-19 - Autism Speaks
- Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019 - National Child Traumatic Stress Network